The first time I made Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup my 4 year old son would have nothing to do with it because of the wild rice. Then we explained that the “black” rice was “Super Power-Up Muscle Building Rice” and that he didn’t have to eat it if he didn’t want to, because his big brothers loved to eat it, and it would only make them stronger than him and they were fine with that! He ate two bowls and now it is a family favorite.
I hope this soup brings as much strength and power to your family!
2 cans chicken broth (14.5 oz)
1 can (12.5 oz) chicken (or 1 1\2 cups cooked and cubed or shreaded chicken)
2 cups cooked Basmati brown rice
1/4 cup cooked wild rice
3 tablespoons UNflour
1 1/2 tablespoons chicken buillon powder (check for gluten free)
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon onion flakes
6 tablespoons butter (or milk free substitute)
2 cups milk (or milk substitute)
- Put broth and chicken in large soup pan on stove at medium heat.
- In a small bowl combine UNflour, bullion, salt, pepper and onion flakes.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, remove from burner and whisk in the UNflour and spices mixture to form a roux.
- While stiring with a whisk, add roux to the broth and chicken, stiring constantly until it comes to a boil and thickens.
- Add in cooked brown and wild rice and 2 cups milk, stir well. Serve.
If your family would prefer, you can omit the wild rice and it is still a tasty soup. Also, I recommend a rice cooker for cooking the rice. You can cook the brown and wild rices together and it is handy and turns out perfect every time.