As a kid I remember my mom making peppermint bark at Christmas time. Every year I make it for my kids, but this year I decided to give it a twist and turn it into Peppermint Fudge. It was a big hit, and I am being bombarded with requests to make it “just one more time before Christmas!” Well… if you insist.
2 packages white chocolate chips (check for gluten free)
1 package milk chocolate chips (check for gluten free)
1 ( 14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
10 candy canes
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch pan, set aside.
- Crush 7 candy canes by sealing them in a ziplock bag and either rolling them with a heavy rolling pin or tapping them with a hammer until evenly crushed. In a separate bag do the same to the 3 remaining candy canes. Set aside.
- Melt the white chocolate chips either in the microwave (stopping every minute to stir until just melted) or in a double boiler. (To do this use two sauce pans, one larger than the other. In the larger pan put a couple inches of water, then set the smaller pan inside resting on the water. Put the chocolate in the smaller pan and turn the burner on medium heat. Stir as chocolate melts until all is melted and stirred smooth.)
- As soon as the white chocolate chips are melted, pour in the condensed milk and stir to mix well. Add in the bag of 7 crushed candy canes and stir. Pour into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Next, melt the milk chocolate chips the same way you did the white, and spread it evenly over the top of the fudge.
- Sprinkle the top with the 3 crushed candy canes and allow to cool completely before cutting.