I love Fish Tacos but they are so hard to find gluten free. So I have been working on the perfect Fish Taco for a while now, and I just caught a lunker!
The breading on the fish is soft inside with a lightly crisp outside. The sauce ties this fish taco together perfectly! You are going to love these!
12 white corn tortillas
16 oz fish filets (like talapia or cod)
1/4 to 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
1/4 bunch cilantro, cleaned and chopped (optional)
4-6 cups oil for frying
1/2 cup UNflour (recipe found in Irresistibly Gluten Free cookbook)
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup plain yogurt (For dairy free, omit yogurt and use 1 cup mayonnaise.)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Fresh lime juice from 1/2 lime
1 teaspoon minced capers (usually found near pickles in grocery store)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne (depending on how spicy you like it)
- Mix sauce ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Thaw fish and pat dry on paper towel. Cut fish in to 1 1/2-inch wide strips, set aside.
- Heat oil in deep fryer or a deep frying pan to about 375 degrees.
- Mix batter ingredients in heavy mixer until smooth. Take the pieces of fish and, one by one, dip into the batter to coat evenly. Drop into heated oil. Fry about 3 minutes on each side. Remove to paper towel to drain.
- Warm tortillas until soft and pliable. Fill each tortilla with a fish filet, shredded cabbage, a pinch of cilantro, and 1-2 teaspoons sauce. Enjoy!