I saw this recipe on Mel’s Kitchen Cafe and got all excited. I’ve been wanting to make a gluten-free dessert pizza, and this one looked fantastic (of corse, anything I’ve ever tried from her site has been, so, no big surprise.)
I adapted her recipe to make it gluten-free, and to work with the amount to match the 3 (9 inch) pizza crusts from Irresistibly Gluten Free. We LOVED it!
Thanks Mel, for what my son just said is “the most amazing thing you’ve made yet!”
This recipe can be made dairy free by using dairy-free butter and milk substitutes.
1 batch Gluten Free Pizza Crust from Irresistibly Gluten Free cookbook page 22 (makes 3 crusts)
1 1/2 tablespoons butter (or butter substitute)
3 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Cinnamon Streusel Topping:
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup UNflour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter, softened (or butter substitute)
3 tablespoons butter (or butter substitute)
1/2 cup milk (or milk substitute)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
- Using the pizza recipe from Irresistibly Gluten Free, make the pizza dough, adding 2 tablespoons sugar to the dough. Spread the dough in the 3 silicone pans as usual, but this time we will be topping before baking.
- Make the Apple Topping by combining the ingredients in a non-stick frying pan. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently until apples are soft, but not mushy (about 5 minutes.)
- Make the Cinnamon Streusel Topping by combining all ingredients but the butter in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers cut or crumble in the butter until well mixed, resembling a coarse meal.
- Top the dough with the Apple Topping, then the Cinnamon Streusel Topping.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes. Remove and allow 10 minutes cooling before adding the glaze. Serve warm.